For a successful debate, students must have well-constructed
topics. The Middle School Public Debate Program recommends
that topics should follow the following guidelines:
- Topics should be simple, declarative sentences.
- Topics should address serious issues of local, national,
or international concern.
- Topics should be challenging.
- Topics should be age appropriate.
- Topics should, where possible, intersect meaningfully with
the school curriculum.
- Topics should be chosen by and approved by middle school
In this section of the website, you will find a brief guide
to topic writing, lists of hundreds of topics that have been
used in class and contest debating, and resources to support
debating on those topics in class and competition. If you have
additional topics to suggest, or resources you would like to
share with other teachers who use this site, please feel free
to contact us directly.